As the summer heat FINALLY gives way to cooler temperatures, fall brings a vibrant shift to our moods, fashion, food choices, and our gardens and landscapes. Houston’s mild fall climate allows for a wide variety of fall flowers to flourish. In this blog post, we will explore some stunning fall flowers that thrive in Houston's unique climate, helping you create a picturesque autumnal garden.
- Pansies are a popular choice for fall gardens in Houston due to their ability to withstand both the heat and cooler temperatures. With their cheerful and vivid blooms, pansies add a pop of color to any garden bed or container. You can find varieties in shades of purple, yellow, orange, and white.
- Chrysanthemums, commonly known as mums, and likely already all over your social media feed, are iconic fall flowers that are well-suited to Houston's climate. These hardy perennials come in a wide range of colors and bloom shapes, including daisy-like and pom-pom varieties. Plant them in well-drained soil and provide ample sunlight for optimal growth and abundant blooms. Love pairing these with a variety of pumpkins to make an insta-worthy fall front porchscape.
- Mexican Bush Sage is a beautiful perennial plant that thrives in Houston's fall season. Known for its velvety purple flowers and silver-gray foliage, this drought-tolerant plant attracts butterflies and adds texture to your garden. Plant Mexican Bush Sage in a sunny spot with well-drained soil for best results.
- Lantanas are a must-have for fall gardens in Houston. These low-maintenance perennials are available in shades of orange, yellow, and pink. Lantanas are heat-tolerant, attract butterflies, and bloom continuously throughout the fall season. Plant them in full sun and provide regular watering.
- Celosias, also known as cockscombs, are vibrant and eye-catching flowers that happen to thrive in Houston's fall weather. They come in various forms, including plume-shaped and crested varieties. Celosias offer a range of colors, including rich reds, oranges, and yellows- perfect fall colors. These heat-tolerant flowers prefer full sun and well-drained soil.
- Autumn Sage is a drought-tolerant (HELLO 2023 CURRENT STATE!) perennial that blooms abundantly in the fall season. With its tubular-shaped flowers in shades of red, pink, and purple, they are elegant but fun. Plant Autumn Sage in well-drained soil and provide it with full sun to partial shade.
- For a cool and unique vibe, consider planting ornamental kale and cabbage. These cool-season annuals come in various shades of green, purple, and white. Their vibrant foliage adds texture and visual interest to beds and containers, making them a bold but understated choice.
While it may not feel like fall yet, we are getting closer to those milder temperatures. Our typical fall climate offers an abundance of options for stunning autumnal flowers. From the cheerful pansies and chrysanthemums to the vibrant celosias and lantanas, there are plenty of choices to create a vibrant and colorful fall garden. Consider the sunlight exposure and soil requirements of each choice to ensure successful growth and beautiful blooms. Let’s get ready to embrace the fall season in the coming weeks and let the vibrant colors of these fall flowers transform your Houston garden into a picturesque haven. Don't forget to add string lights to set the mood for a solo evening enjoying the weather or evening entertainment with friends and family.